Hi all! I don’t even remember the last time I posted on our blog. But I was crafty(!) and I wanted to share.
My husband and I recently found out we are expecting a baby boy and I’ve been itching to buy his bed, carseat, stroller, clothes, etc. etc., but my husband is insisting we wait a while longer mostly because we don’t have the room to store all this stuff without it being used. So I decided instead to busy myself with attempting to make things for our new baby. So this was my first try, and I think it turned out pretty good!
Yarn wrapped letters. I got the initial idea from a friend who is also expecting, and then I looked up a bunch of tutorials online (just google search it, there’s a ton). It narrowed down to there being about a million ways to do this project, so I just went for it and made up my own way.
I didn’t think about making a blog post until I was about to start the last letter of John’s name, so the N is the only one documented, and sorry about the glares and different lighting, I obviously am no photographer!
Yarn (your choice of color and texture/thickness)
Wood letters (I got mine from Hobby Lobby, my friend is using cardboard, really anything would work, but the blockier the better. Anything with curly ends might be difficult, the J and O were already hard…)
Hot glue (or tape or regular glue or staples, to attach yarn to letter)
Here’s my letter… don’t mind the fact that I took a picture of it upside down… I thought it looked kind of funny while looking at it later…
Through doing the other letters (and a few tips from other tutorials), I learned I needed to cover the parts that I wouldn’t be able to cover when wrapping the entire letter. I think this will make sense with the next few pictures to come.
I cut 2(ish)inch pieces of yarn, and hot glued them on the ends of the letter in a vertical fashion.
I then did all the other ends the same way. (Yay I finally took the picture the right way up!)
Then I pretty much just started wrapping, using hot glue every once in a while so it wouldn’t come unraveled. I was able to do the “J” all at once, but that was the only one. The “O” I did in four sections, mostly because I couldn’t fit very much yarn through the tiny hole. I did the “H” in five sections, I think, and the “N” I did in four. This worked better for me and made it look nicer, but you might be more proficient than I am and could do it in all one wrap. Also, you’ll notice in my pictures I left little stripes without yarn. I did this just because of the way the letters bent. I think if I were to do this again, I would try and find (or cut out) letters that didn’t have serifs (the blocky parts at the ends) as I had to go back after wrapping and add pieces of yarn to fill those stripes (as shown in the picture) and I wasn’t a huge fan of the way it turned out looking. It would have been much easier if the wood letters looked just like this font “JOHN”. Just a note in case you’re actually thinking about doing this.
Then I added hooks. I eyeballed these, and hoped they wouldn’t make the four letters hang at different heights and look silly on the wall.
And here’s the finished project! I added the two little zebra embellishments to hide a few mistakes/parts I didn’t like how they looked. The zebras were on a stick in a cupcake at a baby shower I went to over a year ago, and I thought they was so cute I kept them, and I’m glad I did!
My husband came up with the great idea of hanging the letters at an angle so I wouldn’t have to worry too much about my eyeballed hooks. Here’s what it looks like…
I had a ton of fun doing this project, it was quite simple, and really cheap!
Thanks for reading!